5.26.2008

MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

The Memorial Day weekend started on Friday with a baseball tournament for the Blaze. The boys had 2 games on Friday and 2 games on Saturday. They split both days but had some great hits and some great catches. Spencer played in the 9U tournament and also played 2 games on Friday and 2 games on Saturday. The boys were able to catch some of his game on Saturday while Spencer was pitching and they were pretty impressed with how well their little cousin could pitch.

Due to the rainy weather that we had all weekend my mom decided to fire up the fire pit in the garage. The kids had fun roasting marshmellows, cooking hot dogs and even a couple of steaks.
On Saturday my dad decided that he would buy the Indiana Jones videos. I told the boys that we could watch all of them and then go to the theatre to watch the 4th one. I made it through 1, Derek made it through 2 of them and Wes has made it through all 3. Tyler watched 2 and 3 and wasn't scared at all and Sisi tried to watch them but wasn't as focused as Wesley and Tyler. The 2nd & 3rd videos were watched in the back bedroom on the bed. It was nice for the kids since the weather outside was cold and rainy.

Fred decided he wanted to go on a rhino ride and see how muddy he could get. Derek thought that would be fun so we bundled him up and he went on his way. They made it home safe and luckily the rhino received most of the mud. Thanks Fred for taking Derek with you, he had a great time!!!

Finally as it was time to head for home the weather cleared up and Wes and I were able to stop by the cemetary on our way out of town. It is so beautiful during Memorial Day. It is hard to believe that Erik has been gone for almost 9 years. As we were driving to Manti on Saturday after the ball games Wes and Derek were talking about how proud Erik must be of Spencer and how well he is doing in baseball. Wes and Derek were pretty young when Erik died and for a long time they just thought he was living in the temple and would always comment on it as we drove into town. Now that they are older & seem to understand a little more they like to ask questions about him. About a year ago I put his funeral tape in while we were driving to Manti so that the boys could hear all of the funny stories that were told. I miss him so much and look forward to the day when I can see him again.

It was a fun weekend and it was good to get away. I love only having to work 4 days this week and that the boys will be out of school on Thursday for the summer.

7 comments:

The Condies said...

Found ya! You are such a good blogger! This will be fun to keep up with eachother, let's just get Sadie going!

Amy and Dave B. said...

Your Memorial Day weekend sounds about as good as ours. The weather kind of put a damper on things. We always drop by Erik's grave when we go to the cemetary. I have some "great" childhood memories of him and Jedd teasing me and giving me a hard time.

Kim said...

Em, here is Joanna Day's blog address if you want to let her know about your class blog. She has a link to Angela Green Hirschi on there too. I didn't go through her list to see if anyone else is from your class but there might be. http://lafamiliatate.blogspot.com/

Nat said...

Hey Em, looks like you guys managed to have a decent weekend despite the weather. Of course there had to be some baseball in there somewhere. The fire pit in the garage was a good idea! Glad to see you had a good time.

Sandi said...

It was nice to see you the other day in Target. It has been awhile. I enjoyed your pictures and I too miss Erik a lot. He is always on my mind. Keep in touch.

Carli said...

Em. I am so glad that you have updated your blog. I am a little behind on vid=siting it due to being out of town. You are such an awesome mom to your boys. We need to get together soon for lunch, etc. You don't live very far.

The Mitchell's said...

I though for sure I was going to read your boys baseball game adventure!!!