8.20.2008

DRIVER CHILD

My dad drives truck for Wal-Mart & is allowed to take any grandkids over the age of 6 with him. Wesley often asks a lot of questions about different things as we are traveling. I thought he would love to go with my dad. My dad leaves home on Monday morning and doesn't get home until Friday night. I left Wesley with my parents on Sunday, Aug. 3rd to set out on his adventure with my dad. They left for Grantsville Monday morning and headed to Helena, MT. The first couple of nights my dad isn't finished driving until after midnight because of the time he starts driving on Monday. Wesley didn't sleep at all when my dad was awake. He would watch movies in the sleeper, play solitaire on my dads computer, look at the atlas to find out where they were & just keep my dad company while he was driving. They ended up going back to Idaho when they got back from MT and then went to Nevada. My dad doesn't know where he will end up from week to week but I know that Wesley had fun. On Friday night when they got home Wesley told me that he had one of the funnest weeks of his life with my dad. I know that he will never forget it and will look forward to going again when he has a break in school or next summer. My dad was so proud when he got home, he got Wesley to eat turkey spam, become a pro at solitaire, LOVE to listen to Glen Beck & pee in a bottle. :) You can't just pull off at the next gas station or the next rest stop when you have to go, especially when there are 2 of you with such a big truck. They both slept in a twin bed too. My dad would sleep one way and Wesley would sleep the other. I remember going with my dad on the truck when I was a kid. My dad did say that we always use to go to sleep but Wesley never did. He would stay up until 1 or 2 a.m. until my dad could quit driving for the night.

I sent Wesley with my "OLD" camara that requires film so I could blog about his trip when he got home. Well....... now that "FILM" is so outdated Wal-Mart doesn't even do 1 hour on regular film anymore. I just got the film back today and I had to laugh that it cost me $7.00 to develop what you see below.

WELCOME TO IDAHO SIGN

Wesley in the sleeper :)

WELCOME TO UTAH

(through all of the bugs on the windshield)


Inside the truck

Welcome to Nevada
(check out the truck in the mirror) :)

The LONELY tree out on the Salt Flats

The Salt Flats :)

THANKS DAD for taking Wesley with you!!! I know that he will never forget that trip!!!

2 comments:

OlsenUpdate said...

Fun post. I am glad Wes had such a good time. Hey of the fam pics, I LOVED the one of you and Derek in sepia. AWESOME!!! I'll have to update you on Argyle!

Carli said...

How exciting! I loved traveling places with my dad when he had to go out of town for work. Look's like he had a great time and what a kid to keep an eye on his Grandpa while driving and staying awake all night!