10.22.2008

ROAD RAGE!!!

(WARNING: LONG POST AHEAD)

ROAD RAGE is the behavior by a driver of an automobile or other motor vehicle, which thus causes collisions or incidents on roadways. It can be thought of as an extreme case of aggressive driving.

It has taken me a week to be able to blog about this because I have been so ticked off about the situation. I was driving to Manti last Wednesday night to watch Manti play Gunnison in football. I dropped the boys off at their dad's house to go hunting and I headed up Spanish Fork Canyon. As I got down by Thistle I tried to pass a truck and as I was passing he sped up. I had to slow down and get behind him. I followed him for about 3 more miles and then I passed him. As I passed him I sped up thinking if I could just get away from him I would be better off. He was about 3/4 of a mile behind me when he turned on his head lights and started to come up behind me pretty fast. As he got closer I tapped my brakes to see if he would slow down and that didn't help. He got right behind my car and swerved to pass me, missing my back bumper and then started to come back into my lane making me go onto the shoulder and once he was in front of me he slammed on his brakes. He started going 5 mph. After I realized he was going to keep going 5 mph I tried to pass him and he swerved over into the other lane. So I got back over and I really thought I was dead at this point. I did not want to stop or be stopped by him, out in the middle of no where and there is no cell phone service. He finally pulled off to the side and I passed him. Again, I thought if I can get far enough in head of him he will just leave me alone. Again, he decided to speed up behind me as close as he could, swerve left just missing my car again and then pushing me off the side. This time there was a cement wall on the side so I didn't have very much room to move over. As he got in front of me again he slammed on his brakes. I was pretty scared at this point and didn't know how I was going to make it until I could have cell phone service again. He started going 5 mph then about 20 mph. There was an SUV behind me and I was motioning to this lady to follow me and I needed help. She kept shaking her head like she didn't know what I was talking about. This guy finally pulled over and I passed him again. I looked in my rear view mirror and the SUV that was following me pulled over with him and they pulled into their house. I wanted to die!!! I drove to the next road that there were homes and I called 911. To make an already long story shorter I am pressing charges against him. Once the highway patrol got a hold of him he decided he wanted to press charges against me. AUGH!!! I am ticked off that he can do that and I am ticked off the there was not an officer willing to drive to Birdseye and give this guy a breathalizer test. I really think that this guy was drunk, there is no way that a sober human being would do this to someone.

I know that looking back there are things I should've, could've, wish I would have done but it is in the past. But I have learned that if I was to ever get into a road rage situation again, to get into some kind of wreck in order for the authorities to come to the accident scene and fully investigate it the way it should be. Now, 1 week later I am waiting for the highway patrolman to get back to work to come and issue me a citation from this JERK that was trying to run me off the road. I get to go to court and plead NOT GUILTY to reckless endangerment but now who will the judge believe. It is now a HE SAID, SHE SAID game.

I have never been to court before and I think that is what I am the most nervous about. Well..... I am actually pretty nervous that this guy is going to hunt me down and kill me too. He wasn't a very nice guy at all!!! I will keep anyone who read this long post posted about what happens. I should be seeing the UHP tonight. Oh HAPPY, HAPPY, JOY, JOY!!!

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good luck, I am so sorry and so nervous myself. You just never know what kind of people out there will go crazy and when. Keep us posted.

Robyn Cox said...

Wow Em, that is quite the story. Sorry you are having to go through this. I really hope it all works out for you. Seriously, what a JERK he must be. I am glad you didn't get hurt that night! Good luck!

Nicki Swilor said...

Oh, that is like one of my worst nightmares to be in the middle of nowhere with a creepo like that. I'm glad you're ok. And good luck at court. I'm so sorry.

Sassy Lu said...

Holy crap! That is super scary!!! You just don't think things like that will ever happen to you. Good for you for pressing charges. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a repeat offender. His sorry butt needs to be in jail. Good luck!

Amy and Dave B. said...

OOOH my blood was boiling just reading about that. Good luck and can't wait to hear what happens. Be tough!

The Mitchell's said...

Oh man, I can't hardly believe that!! Way to go for being so brave to call 911 on the JERK!! I think I would have been way to scared! I sure hope justice is served. I will be waiting to hear the results. Good Luck ;)

joanna said...

WHOA! I hope things work out for that guy to get locked up, and it's good nothing happened to you!

Unknown said...

You should just call his wife and see if she will be a witness for you :) Its worth a shot right... Im sure you will be fine in court, cant wait to come watch :)Oh, you might want to get rid of your car though, because if you think he's pissed now, wait til he loses in court yikes!!!!

OlsenUpdate said...

Scary, scary, scary. What a jerk. Hopefully he has been in trouble before and that will help to discredit his side of the story. I'm glad you called first! Keep me posted on what happens.

Andria said...

I am so sorry this happened. How scary. I hate road rage!! I hope that things work out and that he gets in trouble so he will think twice before doing it again. Please keep us informed of what is happening!

andrea wardle said...

Wow! How scary! I hope it all works out for you!

Brooke Cherry said...

Yuck!I am so sorry. What a horrible feeling to keep having a JERK like that following you while your alone and with no cell service. Keep me posted let me know what happens.

Tess said...

Emily, the only thing you can do is keep your composure and tell the truth and live with the result. I have learned in life that sometimes life isn't fair and it can make you angry that justice isn't always served but don't let it eat you up! What a scary night. I am glad you were not injured. Love, Tess